Guidelines to Protect Yourself When You’re in an Accident
The moments immediately following an auto accident are chaotic and stressful. You may be confused, injured, anxious, or feeling afraid, but these moments are important when it comes to handling the situation effectively. The team of auto accident attorneys at Powell, Jackman, Stevens & Ricciardi, P.A. knows how important it is to handle the aftermath of an accident with care and intention. Unfortunately, even when injured, you must think about documentation, potential legal conflict, and if the other driver is going to uphold his or her responsibility for the accident.
If you have been injured in an accident, follow these helpful steps to protect your claim:
- Stay calm: Take a few deep, slow breaths. Don’t rush to get out of the car until you have slowed your breathing, unless the car is in danger of fire or further accidents. Just 10-20 seconds of breathing will help you to calm down and be better able to handle the situation.
- Make sure you and everyone in your car are ok: Ask passengers verbally if they are ok, visually check that you and your passengers are conscious, not bleeding excessively, are able to breathe and able to wiggle fingers and toes.
- Immediately call 911: even if you are not injured, it is best to call 911 so that all parties are accounted for, that there is record of the accident, and that you are safe from potential road rage.
- Document the accident by taking pictures: Photograph the outside and inside of every car (for cell phone placement) and take photos of the roads to document direction of traffic, location (street signs) and how many other vehicles are around
- Exchange information with all parties involved: Write down names, phone numbers, driver’s license and license plate numbers, make and model of every vehicle, and insurance information.
- Document any potential witnesses to the accident: Ask witnesses their names and phone numbers, as well as what they saw. Write as much down as possible and let them know that they will hear from you or a representative in the days following.
- Seek necessary medical treatment: Go to the ER via ambulance if necessary or visit your physician.
Request a Free Consultation at (239) 970-6844.
Powell, Jackman, Stevens & Ricciardi, PA has over 30 years of combined experience in representing clients who have been injured in automobile accidents. Attorney Rita Jackman has zealously handled cases dealing with motorcycles, semi-trucks, road bikes and pedestrians, dedicating her energy to her client’s cases from the initial intake all the way though to trial, when necessary. Having an attorney that will represent you throughout the entire process has proven to be highly beneficial to the outcome of your case. We understand the importance of personal service, dedicated attention, and attorney specific follow through and we take pride in focusing on our client’s individually from start to finish. With out team of auto accident attorneys, you have representation you can count on. Let us handle your compensation case so you can focus on getting back on the road to healing.
Contact our teamat (239) 970-6844 to discuss your accident.